I started searching craigslist for a cheap dresser. I found an add for a $50, solid wood dresser. I went and purchased it, and when I got it home I realized it was not solid would, but rather really crappy laminate. Grrr. I need to work on my Craigslist skills. I decided I would make it work anyway, since I liked the shape and it was pretty solid.
|I actually remembered to take a "before" picture!|
The first step was to remove the four bottom drawer-fronts from their respective drawers. I did this with a saw and some elbow grease.
First I had to get through until I hit the bottom and then I had to turn the saw sideways and get all the way through that last inch or so.
It took a bit of prying and pulling to undo some glue, but I eventually got all 4 drawer-fronts completely off.
Then, I sanded all of the edges down to prevent splinters, and then glued the top and bottom drawer-fronts together to create a cupboard front. Very important--sand where ever you will place glue! I used Gorilla Glue, andI held these together with rubber bands over night.
The next part was probably the most difficult, and also Rob and Casey's favorite. I wanted the space where the drawers originally were to be big and open cupboard space, so I need all of the stuff in the middle of the dresser gone. This took sawing, banging with a hammer, and prying nails out, but I eventually removed all the structure from inside. Then, I carefully cut into the side a small kitty door. When I finished, I sanded it as smooth as I could make it.
Then, I had to put this project on hold for a day or two because I had finals. Boo.
After my last test, I went to home depot and bought primer and paint to finish this baby up. I walked into my house with my arms full of things, and immediately dropped my can of primer.
I took all the pulls off, and filled in some holes from what must have been even older pulls. I used Elmers Wood Filler. Once it was dry, I sanded it down so it was less noticeable.
I then decided it would be smart to attach my doors with the hinges before I painted, in case I made some mistakes. Turns out that was a good idea.
It took my awhile to figure out hinges and what kind to buy, but turns out I did okay. I needed inset hinges, because of that little overhang thing. I'm basically a hinge-master. I lined them up and drilled all my holes, then screwed everything in to make sure it then would hang correctly.
Then I took it all back apart so I could paint and prime. First, I lightly sanded everything. Laminate is not really wood, and its very thin, so I did not go to crazy. I just needed the primer to stick. I also used an adhesive primer so the paint would stick.
I took (what was left of) my primer and used a roller to apply it to the entire thing, including the door fronts and drawer fronts of the top two drawers. While that was drying, I took my hardware outside for a little facelift. I thought about buying new hardware, but the holes were already there and it was not bad looking. I didn't reuse the plate on the back though. (See above.)
I thought my primer would take longer to dry, but I couldn't read the instructions since I spilled primer all over the can immediately after walking in the door. It felt dry enough to me after about an hour, so I went for it!
I drew my inspiration for paint colors from this dresser. Sorry that I can't post the picture...It's a weird site.
I wouldn't say I exactly nailed it. I think I wasn't brave enough to go with darker colors. It seemed to me that the swatches I picked out were identical to those, but in person, not so much. They are much brighter.
I bought some Minwax to make it look antiqued like my inspiration piece, but I think because I chose matte paint, rather than gloss, it didn't work exactly like I'd planned. It just kind of made everything darker, rather than soaking into the cracks and being wiped away. So, I painted over that section and left it as it.
Anyways. I put all my hardware back on, and then set some wood down on the bottom that Home Depot cut for me. The drawer liners in there already were not strong enough to hold litter.
Then I loaded it up!
Ta-Da! Stay tuned for more projects.