Sunday, November 10, 2013

Grad School

I feel like a high school senior all over again.  "Where are you going to grad school?" is the question I get far too often and still don't know the answer to.  I've spent the last two months studying for the GRE (which is like the SAT for grad school), and now that that's over I can finally start focusing on applications.  Today I did some good work and have a solid list of 7 schools.  I've firmly decided that I will no longer look at any other schools outside this list....I don't have time. My efforts need to be redirected from looking at schools to applying for schools.  Plus, I still need to cut off 2 or 3 of these before I fill out applications, because it's going to be time consuming and expensive to apply to 7 schools. SIGH.  A little more research should narrow out the ones that won't work for me.

Most of the application deadlines are in January/February, so luckily I still have a bit of time to figure all this out.  I'm looking at programs that allow me to take the courses I need as well as place me automatically into an internship, rather than trying to find my own after I get my master's degree.  That's just more work I don't need.  I'm also looking at cost of attendance and how much money they can give me for fellowships, assistantships, and scholarships because I definitely don't need any MORE student loans.

So, without further ado, here is my list of 7. (Actually 1 more ado.  Very few of these are the same from the list I made 2 years ago....funny how things change.)

Colorado State University (Fort Collins)
Framingham State University
Umass Amherst
University of Vermont (Burlington)
University of Florida (Gainesville)
Washington State University (Spokane)
Syracuse University

So there you go.  All spread out across the country.  I have kind of a good feeling about both of the Massachusetts schools, but we shall see.  I need to find out about the length of the program, application fees, and general "how-much-is-this-going-to-cost-me" things about all of them before narrowing it down more.

I won't know where I'm going for another 4-6 months I assume, so until then, no more questions!

1 comment:

Alyson said...

I dont know if this will work for you but when I was applying to grad schools, I found it easier making an excel spread sheet. It just made the information less overwhelming and organized